Monday, January 3, 2011

3 out of 6

I just found out today my brother and I are a 3 out of 6 match in terms of kidney compatibility. What does that mean exactly? Or even vaguely?

I have no idea. None at all.

Having said that, I was seriously disappointed at not having been a better match. I was hoping for at least 4 out 6.

Which apparently isn't possible. It's either 0,3, or 6.

Even so, I felt like I had failed somehow. Not done enough. Wasn't as good as I could have been.

It's not like this was a test I could study for. No cramming would have made any difference. My own expectations got in the way of what was realistic. Or even possible.

And that is something I have to let go of. This process is going to be long and mostly out of my control. Being a match at all is wonderful. Going forward it's got to be one step at a time and being able to accept what is, not what I want it to be.

1 comment:

  1. It's so fascinating to see this all from the other side! Congrats on matching, and I wish you the best for the next phase... (I never emailed you, did I? Hit me up on Twitter if I still owe you an email.)
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete