Friday, July 8, 2011

the next chapter

I am now a donor. On the road to recovery. There's not much left to tell at this point. 

I feel better. I feel tired. I feel swollen. I feel relieved, grateful, at times overwhelmed, at others surprised by all the admiration. 

I will continue to heal. My scars ache less. My energy is coming back. Surges of drive and anxiety are surfacing. And with that I'm feeling like here  isn't where I need to spend my energy anymore. 

This blog kept me sane during one of the most intense periods of my life. I don't know how I would've coped if I didn't have a place to process, to voice my fears, to share what was going on inside. Being able to let it out helped me let go. After this experience I now can comfortably call myself a writer, this after years of making excuses for not really being one in spite all I'd put out into the world. 

I had an epiphany the other day. Not just that writing this experience is my next project, but that this is the story I'm meant to tell. FLOW was part of my training. It wasn't my path, but it was an integral part of a bigger path. The stories I tell, those that resonate the most, the ones people read and respond to are me writing about my life. 

This transplant was and is a part of me. But, the story is not just mine. It's my brother's, our family's, the transplant team's. It also belongs to our friends, to neighbors, to strangers we've met along the way. 

That is what I'm meant to tell:

Sidney's Big Adventure - the stories of one life-changing kidney transplant

1 comment:

  1. You did such an amazing thing. I would have wanted to find this sooner but sadly I didn't but I just read your whole journey.

    Truly amazed.

    I got a kidney transplant in Dec 2010. I had several people saying they we're willing to do a transplant but sadly none of them stepped up when it was time. Mine was a cadaver, im just happy that phase of my life is over.
    I've learned about from both ends now.

    Take care and congrats on your full recovery.:)

    ReplyDelete